Saturday, March 3, 2012

Jim Thorpe, PA --Winter 2012

During this last month I have introduced a new link on both my website and Facebook page to allow clients to schedule a session thru your computer!  How much more convenient is that?  Simply click the 'BookNow' button and virtually schedule your appointment.  If you'd like a wedding consultation, please specify that in the scheduling process.

Jim Thorpe, PA  
February 11th and 12, 2012

Last month I went on a weekend trip to Jim Thorpe, PA.  It is an enchanting little town that has much history behind it.  After the visit in the summer I was anxious to go back to visit this small unique town.  I came to find out that much of my families history started in this little town so I was also anxious to find out more about that.  
During this mild winter, we were lucky and fortunate enough to have weather mostly in the Fifties.  I had planned to do some walking around, including finding the trail to the switchback railroad.  I also had hoped to find some ancestors there.    Of course, when the weekend came we had some snow flurries and weather in the 20s, not nice enough weather to walk around.  So most of our touring we did by car, although we did get out and walk some.  
The Navigation Building located in the historic Jim Thorpe, PA
The Jersey Central Train Station, now visitors center located in Jim Thorpe, PA       


Another view of the train station.  The train is out of season for now, so no train rides for us!


The Jim Thorpe Courthouse

The Old Jail.  This jail was closed sometime in the 1970s.

The Edwin Castle.  I believe this is where the Private Doctor for Asa Packer lived.
The Asa Packer Mansion
The Harry Packer  Mansion
The Opera House.
This is the Veteran's Statue.  You can also see the sign for the Molly Maguire Restaurant.
A Cute unique building located in the heart of Jim Thorpe, PA.  I loved the heart-decorations in the windows.
This is an old church located on East Chunk.  Amazing how the beauty is still there.....
 Jim Thorpe, PA is such a unique little town.  During the last 3 times I've visited I've still found out so much about this little town, every time there is still history to be learned about.  

I visited the town over the summer (go back thru some old posts to read about that trip) and it has surprised me how much more there is to see.  This visit I saw the inside of the Harry Packer Mansion (I'm not sure if photos were allowed, so none were taken inside), the Asa Packer Mansion was closed; as well as the old jail.  I have managed to get photos of all the typical things.  The statue, courthouse, mansions, train station, and some old buildings.  I'm hoping in the spring to make it up there again to go for a journey on the 'Switchback Railroad'.  Although the railroad is gone, there is now a hiking path in it's place.  I'd also like to take the typical tours of the Asa Packer Mansion and the Jail...my kid said to me this morning that he'd like to go on the train ride again!  

There is so many photo opportunities up there, and it is such a beautiful little town.  I can hardly wait to go back up there again for some more  photo opportunities!  

No comments:

Post a Comment